Saturday, April 26, 2014

Fast Deer

On the way back from an overnight trip I stopped in a small town Pawn shop to see if they had anything interesting. In the rack with the powder burners I saw a rough looking early Crosman 760. Having built a couple of those I wasn't really interested in it. I asked the guy behind the counter if he had any other air guns. He pulled out a Chinese side lever, my first thought was it's a TS-45 or QB-58. But it didn't look like the QB I had a while back, no red button on the fore stock and the safety was built into the stock right above the trigger. It was brand new, still in the plastic shipping bag and covered with oil. The box had gone missing however and no markings on it to tell me exactly what it was. The price was right so it came home with me.




Once I got it home and fired a few pellets through it to make sure it functioned, I did a Google search to see if I could figure out what I had bought. I found a Blog written by Tom Gaylord about the KL-3B Fast Deer and that is what I have.
It's a typical cheap Chinese air gun, a little on the rough side. This one does have nicer wood than the B-3s I have owned. There was no need for filler or that muddy stain they are fond of.

The muzzle is interesting, with the bore recessed it looks like a target rifle muzzle. I did a little work to the crown since pushing a Q-Tip through the muzzle left some fibers on the crown.

The first indication it's a Fast deer is the safety in the stock right above the trigger.

The direct sear trigger makes for a heavy pull, even though it is heavy it is manageable. I don't trust the rear sight to hold its setting it is just too sloppy. I did get an okay group using it though. Using RWS Meisterkugeln 8.2 grain the Fast deer is showing some potential with 7 0f 10 pellets going into a group of less than an inch.
CPHP pellets didn't do near as well, more of a shotgun pattern than a group.

I did do a tear down to see what the innards looked like....

There was plenty of crud on the piston. I cleaned everything up and reassembled it. I didn't do any  real tuning just cleaned everything and relubed. I like the shot cycle, pull the trigger and you get a nice solid thunk with no twang. Chrony tests show the velocity is close to what I expected, just below 600 fps, as it breaks in I expect those numbers to climb a little. 
This was another "Impulse Purchase" as most of my air gun purchases are. Over all I'm pretty happy with it, another Chinese preassembled  kit in the shape of an air gun. A little work and it will be a good little shooter.

No comments:

Post a Comment