Wednesday, December 25, 2013

CBG build #2 Acoustic this time?

I've started my second CBG, I will be using a cigar box for this build. It will be a three string this time and I'm thinking acoustic.... maybe... it will depend on how it sounds.

I wasn't sure that the fret  template I printed out for my first build had printed out to scale. I decided to lay this one out by measuring each fret position. When I checked the layout against the printed version they matched. I wasn't too worried about getting it perfect, after all it is just a box, a stick and some string. 
I used poplar for the neck this time and oak for the finger board.

The box I used had some extra panels in it. I glued them to the inside to keep them from rattling. They help align the top when it's closed and make the box a bit more sturdy. 

With the notches cut for the neck it was time for a test fit. 

I modified a picture hanger hook for the string anchor.

These copper cut nails will keep the strings from cutting into the neck. 

Three more nails to complete the tailpiece. 

The tuner install was trouble free this time. I found a piece of 1/4" thick brass that I used for a nut. 

A couple 1" holes to let the sound out and this one is making music.

This one will stay acoustic for now.... 

For the next one I'm going to wind my own pick up, I also have an amp kit to assemble so stay tuned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment