Sunday, December 15, 2013

Crosman Heritage 2260

My latest air gun is a Crosman "Limited Edition" 2260. Crosman has the option of adding an engraving to the stock. I didn't have anything engraved, mostly because I couldn't think of anything I wanted engraved and also I think I got it faster as it didn't have to wait to be engraved. It took about three weeks for it to arrive, three looong weeks.
The stock appears to be the same stock used on the Discovery, minus the hole for the pressure gauge.
My Disco above and the 2260 below.


The breech is plastic with a brass bolt, and the rear sight can be changed from notch to peep.
I was a little disappointed with the unfinished look of the stock behind the breech. It is only cosmetic but it detracts from the looks, makes it look a bit like something thrown together from spare parts.

I fired a few Crosman Premier Hollow Points to get it sighted in then shot a 10 shot group with the iron sights.
Not bad for the first group and shot with the peep sight. The bulls eye is 1/2". I'm sure the groups will tighten up once I get a scope mounted and find the right pellet.


Along with a box of pellets I ordered the steel breech kit, with my tired eyes I need a scope and the best way to mount a scope is to install a steel breech.
 

The steel breech installs easily and only takes a few minutes. Crosman includes the Allen wrenches you need with the kit. A few things to keep in mind, the mounting screw under the bolt takes a small Allen wrench .050". Make sure it is seated all the way into the socket. It is very easy to strip the wrench, or worse strip the socket in the bolt. When you install the bolt handle into the bolt make sure it slides smoothly before you mount the breech. Mine didn't work smoothly so I unscrewed the handle spun the bolt around and screwed it in through the other side of the bolt and that smoothed things out. Before you crank the mount bolts down make sure the transfer ports in barrel and the breech are lined up and that the steel sleeve that goes between the breech and tube is seated in the barrel.  

Medium scope mounts got the scope at the right height for a good cheek weld and also gave me room for loading pellets. 

The 2260 doesn't seem to be to picky about what pellets you feed it, the 5 pellets I tried were all around dime sized groups at 10 yards (10 shots for each group) The RWS Super Domes were the best. The Beeman Bearcubs were another good performer, to bad they aren't available any more. 

The low shot on the Crosman Premier Field Target (cardboard box) was the end of the CO2 cart. I need to retest those pellets to see if a full cart. makes a difference.
I'm not sure how many shots I'm getting from a cartridge, I haven't taken the time to get a shot count. It is at least 30 shots and probably  more like 40. 

I'm very happy with my latest purchase and hope Crosman brings it back permanently and maybe brings back the 1760 also. Crosmans CO2 rifle line is pretty thin these days....
Honestly if this airgun had been available a few months ago I would have purchased it instead of the Discovery. Nothing against the Disco it's just that the 2260 suits my needs better than the disco.



1 comment:

  1. Just bought the CM 2260 and wna to add same scope and mounts along with the steel breech, very nice of you to post this!!

    ReplyDelete