Saturday, December 7, 2013

CBG Part 2

The CBG / Licence plate guitar build continues. 

  
I filed the ends of the frets even with the edge of the neck and rounded over the square corners on the back of the neck. I followed the directions that came with the tuners and drilled the holes for them. 

The dowels I used to pin the scarf joint were right where the tuners needed to go. Not a huge deal just another lesson learned. I figure by my third or fourth guitar I should have most of the big mistakes out of the way.

I cut a slot for the nut to fit in. Is it ironic that I'm using a bolt for the nut? Maybe not....
I had a 1/4" brass bolt in my parts stash, I cut it down to 1 1/2" to match the width of the neck.

I used a two part epoxy to glue the nut in place. I put painters tape around the nut to keep the excess epoxy from getting on the fingerboard and head.

A place I should have measured twice. When I drilled the holes for the tuners, the holes on the left (in the picture) ended up about 1/8" farther in than the ones on the right.


I used screws along with glue to attach the neck to the box. The hinge will serve as the tailpiece after I drill four holes for the strings to go through. The screws that fasten the hinge to the body also screw into the end of the neck. 

The licence plate attached

I cut the "legs" off a brass drawer pull to serve as the bridge. With the strings installed it now makes noise! I still need to make a back, maybe another licence plate. I have some 1/4" plywood and may end up using it for the back. 
The next installment will be adding the piezo pickup, volume control and jack.


I had ordered cigar boxes online and they arrived today. Of the five I received I can use three. The one in the back on the left and the one in front will become guitars and the one in the back on the right will become an amp. 

While I was out and about today I stopped in the Habitat for Humanity Restore and picked up a couple items I thought could be used on my CBG builds. The drawer pull on top is the one I used for the bridge on this build, the hinge on the left is the one I used as the tailpiece. 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment