Thursday, August 22, 2013

Crosman 101 disassembly

Related Blogs:


The fun begins....


The front sight has a slight bend .... 
Handy for shooting around corners.  

Someone had been inside this airgun and adjusted the pump rod length. It had been adjusted out far enough that the pump was hitting the valve and the handle wouldn't close.

The rear sight is broken off. I will have to make a replacement.

There is a spring steel band to keep the pivot pin in its place. The holes don't show any signs of being worn or egg shaped.



Other than being dirty the pump cup is in good shape. The seal feels a bit hard but I hope it still has some life left in it.

The pivot pin has a bow in it, I'm sure this was caused by the pump linkage being misadjusted.

That is one long bolt that holds the stock to the receiver.

The steel butt plate was built to last not built for comfort.

With the cocking knob unscrewed the the bolt can be removed.


Removing the cocking knob gives access to the nut that holds the hammer spring in. 


With the nut removed the parts can be removed. The face of the tube that the cocking knob screws into also engages the trigger sear.

In this pic you can see the end of the exhaust valve. The cocking knob hits it to knock the valve open.

It's a bit blurry but at the bottom of the hole is another nut, it holds the exhaust valve in.

I made up this spanner to remove that nut.


A close up shot of the sealing surface on the exhaust valve.

The rest of the inner components of the valve.

A close up of the check valve.

The body of the valve is all that is left. It is stuck tight in the end of the pump tube. I used a wooden dowel and mallet to drive the valve body out of the tube from the pump end. I let it sit over night with Marvel Mystery Oil in the tube to help loosen things up. 

 Even after sitting over night the body wouldn't budge.... It took some heat from a propane torch and solid hits with the mallet to get it to break loose

The trigger was next. Removing the trigger guard let me remove the trigger spring.


The trigger pivots on this pin.

A pretty simple trigger but it works surprisingly well.

And here are all the bits and pieces....

Stay tuned for the repair and refinish Blogs....



6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I remove the second spanner nut only the nut comes out and not the valve or the seal. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is strange! I've had three of these rifles apart and once the nut was removed the exhaust valve pretty much fell out. My first thought is to remove the pump tube from the receiver. Care is needed to unscrew the pump tube from the receiver since the it is easy to dent or crush. I used a long punch that would fit through the hole for the pump pivot pin, the front sight can be re installed to help support the tube. I then used the punch as a handle to unscrew the pump tube. Soaking the internals with penetrating oil should help free things up also. All of them that I have had apart the valve body was stuck tight in the pump tube, I used a wood dowel and a mallet to drive the valve body out. The dowel needs to be as close to the inside diameter of the tube as you can get. I ended up turning down a 5/8" dowel on my lathe so that it slid easily into the tube.I hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. You may have found it all ready but I wanted to post a link to the reseal blog I did on the 101, http://ricksshop1.blogspot.com/2013/09/crosman-101-reseal.html It has more pictures of the internals.

      Delete
  3. Is there a dealer for replacement seals? I'm new to this airgun world if you can't tell! Any help would be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my parts from Dennis Baker at Baker Airguns. Dennis has an online store or you can call him at (937) 660-9152. JG airguns is another that comes to mind, there are others places that have parts and a Google search for "Crosman 101 parts" should find them.
      Automotive parts stores or Hardware stores are good places to find replacement O-rings.
      Have fun! and welcome to a great hobby.

      Delete