Monday, April 15, 2013

A trip to the Dark Side

My first venture to the Dark Side of air guns (PCP) is off to a less than stellar start. I've been working 60 hours a week for 2 months now and thought I should reward myself with a .177 cal Benjamin Discovery. It arrived on schedule and looking good but minus the safety button. Not a huge deal, all it took was a call to Crosman to get a replacement safety on its way. Since it is dual fuel I ordered a CO2 bottle and hose so I could do my indoor shooting with the quieter CO2 and use the hand pump for outdoors longer distance shooting, if I ever find somewhere to shoot outdoors. I'm a bit spoiled with my basement shooting range.
My first shooting session was with CO2 and everything went well until I tried to load Crosman Hollow Point pellets. These pellets don't feed well, very rough sliding into the breech and it was difficult to close the bolt. Most of the pellets I tried didn't feed as well as I thought they should. I have had other bolt action air guns that didn't feed well so I continued on to find out how the Disco shoots. Most every review I had read talked about the "tack driver" accuracy of this air gun. I tried six different pellets none of which grouped worth a damn.The accuracy I was expecting just wasn't there.
Not totally discouraged I waited until the following night to try the hand pump and shoot the Disco on HPA. Things were looking up, the groups shrank down considerably. Still not the one hole, pellet on top of pellet groups I had read about but better.
On my third day with the Disco I decided I would get serious and find its favorite pellet. About 15 shots into testing the disco started dumping air out of the barrel. I fired 3 more pellets hoping whatever was holding the valve open would be pushed out. No such luck.
The Disco is on its way back to Crosman with a note describing all the issues I had with it. Now it's time to wait and see, will it come back as the tack driver it should be or will I have to mod the hell out of it to get it where I want it?

No comments:

Post a Comment