Monday, May 13, 2013

Benjamin Discovery accuracy improvement #1

While my Disco accuracy has been OK I know there is better accuracy to be had. I have been getting consistent dime sized groups at 30 feet. Having done some work to the trigger and lightening the pull it is much easier to stay on target while shooting.
I had removed the front sight while I was doing the trigger work with the intention of removing the barrel band so I would have a floating barrel. I never got around to removing the barrel band and shot a bench rest target without the front sight installed. The target was better than expected, with every pellet touching the 1/4" bulls eye and most of them well inside the black.

I had a feeling this wasn't totally due to the improved trigger pull, and since the only change I had made was removing the front sight I decided to re install the front sight and see how it shot. With the sight re installed I could still hit the bull most of the time but nowhere near as consistent  as without it installed.  

To verify the front sight was causing the accuracy issues, I  removed the front sight again and shot a third target. The accuracy returned. I looked at the sight and there is no chance the pellets were clipping the sight as they exited the barrel, a closer inspection of the tube showed signs that the sight was touching tube when it was installed. There is a slight wear mark in the blueing on the tube where the sight was rubbing. 


For my next accuracy test I am going to play around with the barrel band.....


No comments:

Post a Comment