Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The replacement Discovery has arrived!

It has been a month since my first PCP purchase, a Benjamin Discovery. Three days after its arrival it developed an air leak. I sent it back to Crosman with a list of my concerns.... Lack of accuracy, pellets didn't feed well into the barrel and of course the air leaking out the barrel. It took a bit longer than expected but my replacement arrived today.



 I am much happier with this rifle. It seems to want to group well. I've only got about 60 pellets through it but it is shooting much better than the first one. I couldn't help my self, I unboxed it pumped it up and fired 23 pellets through it trying five different pellets, 5 shot groups at 10 yards from a rest. I fired 3 shots first with the iron sights to make sure all was well, then mounted a scope to try out some pellets. It doesn't appear to be pellet sensitive  POI didn't change much from pellet to pellet. RWS Meisterkugelns 8.2 grain were the winner with five shots going into a nice little clover leaf. Those 23 shots dropped the pressure from 2000psi down to just a bit over 1000psi, so it looks like I can expect about 25 good shots per fill.

After the initial fill and shots I thought I had better do the right thing, the thing I should have done first.... Clean the barrel.... 
It took 13 patches, I pulled each one through then flipped it and pulled it through a second time for a total of 26 patches through the bore. I put a few drops of Marvel mystery oil on three of the patches followed by two dry patches. The oiled patches seemed to really help loosen up the crud. The last one wasn't perfectly clean but I was tired of pulling patches through the bore.

With the bore clean I pumped it back up to 2000psi and after 10 shots to foul the bore I shot this 10 shot group with the RWS Meister Ks. Things are looking good!

I'm curious to see how the Disco shoots on CO2, as the first one didn't do well at all. I think I'll spend some more time shooting on HPA before I switch over, I want to get some Chrony tests and more trigger time before I change things up.
A few observations, the loading port is far from generous... there is barely enough room to fit a pellet in front of the bolt. Once the scope was installed it got even tighter, but after loading it a few times it gets easier.

The trigger seems a bit heavier on this gun and if it doesn't get any better with use I will have to see what can be done to lighten it up. Prior to getting the Disco I built a prototype silencer that seemed to work pretty well. Building one for the Disco is on the short list as it is a bit loud, it is not nearly as loud as I was expecting but being quieter would be better.









2 comments:

  1. Really cool information! I have done similar pellet testing, not nearly as extensive as yours. It's amayzing how much accuracy can vary from pellet to pellet. Keep up the good work - didn't want it to go unnoticed. BTW, I saw your attempts at building a silencer/ moderator. Have you purchased any and tried those to see how they work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words!
      Finding a pellet that shoots well is normally the first thing I do with a new shooter. It's just no fun if you can't hit what you are aiming at.
      I have given up on building a silencer. It was a fun project and I learned a few things while researching them and building them but I have no interest in taking it any farther. With the shooting I do I don't find the Disco to be loud enough to bother with it.

      Delete