Sunday, May 5, 2013

Powerline 201 by Daisy

I bought this pistol a couple years ago thinking I wanted to try shooting a pistol and for under $20 I had an idea of what I was getting.
I have had a few pistols over the years, most of them bought at auctions or estate sales because they were "too good of a deal to pass up" I never kept any of them very long. There is just something about a pistol that attracts me to it, I have never taken the time to get good at shooting a pistol but have always liked them.
I didn't shoot this pistol much after I bought it, just enough to know that I got what I paid for, a sub $20 air gun. It has been sitting collecting dust along with a couple CO2 pistols bought a little more recently.
I had read about someone modding this kind of pistol by replacing the smooth bore barrel with a rifled barrel and thought since I had a Daisy "soda straw" barrel in my parts stash I would give it a try. I wanted to get a baseline to compare to after the mod. At 16 feet the pellet hit the floor just in front of the pellet trap. So much for getting a base line....
I went ahead and opened it up to see if there was anything that could be done to get it to shoot.

This pistol appears to be a copy of the Marksman 1010. It is capable of shooting pellets or BBs.

 I started my disassembly at the muzzle, removing the pin that the barrel pivots on.

Then the barrel came off.

 The transfer port is visible here.


 There is a clip in the end of the slide that attaches the slide to the piston assembly.



The main spring has a bit of preload on it and the compression tube (on the right) popped out when I split the halves. I reassembled it for this pic. There is also a small spring under the latch that locks the slide that wanted to shoot across the room when I opened it up.

The square piece below the trigger springs in the grip area along with the grips are made of metal and I assume they are meant to add weight to the pistol.

The piston seal is not meant to be serviceable, the open end of the compression tube is crimped around the piston after it is inserted. The reason for this is the transfer port nipple slides into the barrel locking it closed and sealing the transfer port to the barrel. When you cock the pistol the piston hits the crimped end of the compression tube and pulls the transfer port out of the barrel allowing you to open the barrel to load a pellet. The seal was a bad fit in the compression tube, I couldn't feel any resistance and the piston didn't move any air when I moved it. I removed the piston from the compression tube in a very professional manner....  Pulling hard... the seal didn't get damaged during my brute force removal.
My plan is to build a new compression tube on my lathe, with a better fit for the seal.  


I had some time this afternoon so I got started on the compression tube. I'll finish boring the hole on another day. I have two concerns during the next operation, the tube collapsing while i'm boring it out and getting a good finish on the bore so the piston will seal and not get chewed up....

The transfer port is shaped and bored at .098" it's a few thousands larger than the transfer port on the original 

I turned down the OD to match the original 

The next step is to cut it to length and bore it out for a good fit on the seal. A project for another day....

3 comments:

  1. Adorei q vc fez tenho uma e apresentou o mesmo problema q a sua mas a minha falta de sorte eq não tenho um torno como você apanhei bastante pra montar essas molas do gatilho mas quando vi a sua desmontada ajudou muito o obrigado

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you remove the pin that pivots the muzzle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been 8 years since I posted this and I don't remember exactly what it took to get the pin out. Looking at the pictures my best guess is a hammer and punch will drive that pin out.

      Delete